Rajma Recipe With step by step. This is a spiced, creamy and a delicious Punjabi curry made with kidney beans, onions, tomatoes and spices. This is restaurant-style Punjabi rajma masala.
How to make Rajma curry recipe
Ingredients for Rajma curry recipe:-
Rajma(Kidney beans) – 1 cup.
Oil – 3 tablespoons.
Butter – 1 tablespoon.
Bay leaves – 1.
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tablespoon.
Onions(Chopped) – 1.
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1/2 tablespoon.
Green chillies(sliced) – 5.
Tomatoes(Chopped) – 5.
Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tablespoon.
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tablespoon.
Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tablespoon.
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tablespoon.
Cumin powder – 1/4 tablespoon.
crushed Kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) 1 tbsp
Salt as required.
1. Soak 1 cup of rajma or Red kidney beans for 8 hours or overnight in enough water.
2. next day, drain and rinse the soaked Rajma for 2 times in water.
3. Add the rinsed rajma in a pressure cooker. Add 3 to 4 cups of water and add salt 1/2 tbsp. Close the lid of the Pressure cooker. Pressure cook the rajma for 2 to 3 whistles.
4. when the pressure down, open the lid, check the rajma is cooked or not by pressing a bean. The rajma should be completely cooked. If they are not cooked, then pressure cook again adding some water.
5. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in another pan or Kadai.add ½ tbsp cumin seeds and let them crackle. then add chopped onions 1, sliced green chilli 5 and curry leaves. Stir and saute them until they are a golden brown colour. Add salt 1 tbsp, turmeric powder 1/4 tbsp and Ginger Garlic paste 1/2 tbsp. Stir and saute them for 1 minute on low flame or raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
6. Add the chopped 5 tomatoes. Mix and stir well. Fry for 2 to 3 min till the tomatoes become soft.
7. Add all the spice powders – ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds powder, 1½ teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon Garam masala powder, 1½ teaspoon red chilli powder. Mix well.Saute the masala mixture till the oil starts leaving the masala.
8. Add rajma to the masala and saute for a minute. then add 2 cups from mixture of stock+water. Add salt as required.
9. Add 1 tbsp butter, Stir the rajma curry mixture. On a low flame, without lid for 5 minutes. The rajma masala curry should not be watery. Continue to simmer until you get a medium consistency in the curry.
10. Add 1 tbsp crushed Kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) Then add chopped curry leaves.
11. Switch off the flame.
12. Serve rajma masala curry with rotis, jeera rice.